Michigan Cannabis Market Nets $60M Windfall for Local Governments

Michigan Cannabis Market Nets $60M Windfall for Local Governments

Tens of millions of dollars have been paid to local governments across Michigan as a result of the state’s cannabis industry.

FOX 2 Detroit report The state has remitted nearly $60 million to counties and local governments.

“A local government that authorizes the recreational sale of weed in a county, city, village, or town will pay approximately $51,800 to every retail store and microbusiness that distributes the license.” the station says.

According to FOX 2 Detroit, “Only 30% of total adult sales go to local governments, with the remaining 70% going to schools and roads. It shows an industry it doesn’t show.”

State voters legalized adult-use cannabis in 2018 when they approved Proposition 1.

The initiative makes it legal for use by adults 21 and older, paving the way for a regulated cannabis market that launched in 2019.

But despite strong sales numbers, Michigan, like other regulated cannabis markets, is experiencing a glut of cannabis.

Politico report Last year, “the number of cannabis-growing businesses serving the state’s recreational market has nearly doubled over the past year,” and “the number of active marijuana plants now exceeds 1.2 million, with more than 20 million plants expected by 2020.” That’s about six times the annual amount.”

“There are too many weeds in Michigan.” Politico then said.

“By one estimate, Michigan has enough growing capacity to supply three times as much weed as consumers in the state are buying. It does not include the huge illegal market that dominates it.”

or according to Politico, Michigan said, “It’s a symbol of what’s been happening across the country this past year, and why the industry is in turmoil despite widespread legalization: Decades in Democratic-dominated Washington against drugs.” Market oversupply and plunging prices have given way to ill-fated hopes that they might loosen regulations across the globe, leaving many businesses at risk of collapse. “

But that doesn’t mean Michigan’s recreational cannabis industry isn’t growing.

As FOX 2 Detroit pointed out, “224 municipalities registered 1,148 business licenses” last year. This is up from 163 municipalities and 748 licenses in 2021 and 104 municipalities and 356 licenses in 2020.

Station has details About the state’s latest cannabis sales:

“The latest figures come from the Michigan State Department of Treasury, which said recreation pot revenue last year was $198.4 million. An additional $69.4 million will go to the School Aid Fund and $69.4 million to the Transportation Fund. total weed sales totaled $1.8 billion, which puts total sales at $341 million in 2020. In 2021, the state reports $1.1 billion in sales Did.”

Democratic Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer endorsed Proposition 1.

Late last year, Whitmer vetoed several Republican-backed bills aimed at making it easier to access state medical cannabis programs launched in 2008.

In his veto message, Whitmer said the proposal was passed hastily by lawmakers and deserves closer consideration.

“We look forward to working with the new Congress in January on our priorities for maintaining economic momentum, reducing costs, and expanding educational support for Michigan students. It’s time to get serious about working out and getting something done to make life better for working families,” Whitmer said at the time.

Alexandra Solorio
Introducing Alexandra, an accomplished cannabis writer who has passionately pursued her craft for a decade. Through a decade-long journey, Alexandra has cultivated a profound connection with the cannabis world, translating her expertise into captivating prose. From unraveling the plant's rich history to exploring its therapeutic marvels and legal evolution, she has adeptly catered to both connoisseurs and newcomers. An unwavering advocate, Alexandra's words not only enlighten but also advocate responsible cannabis use, establishing her as an indispensable industry voice over the past ten years.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *