Recent Johns Hopkins Medicine Study Analyzes Mislabeled CBD Products

Recent Johns Hopkins Medicine Study Analyzes Mislabeled CBD Products

A A study published by Johns Hopkins Medicine On July 20, a large number of CBD product evaluations found that many products contained inaccurate amounts of THC. In this study, entitled “Cannabinoid Content and Label Accuracy of Hemp-Derived Topical Products Available Online and at Retail Stores Nationwide,” “105 Topical CBD Products Collected from Online and Physical Retail Stores, Especially lotions, creams, patches “were analyzed. It was held in Baltimore, Maryland from July to August 2020 (although the analysis was conducted as follows: March-June 2022). For storefronts, this includes grocery stores, pharmacies, cosmetics and cosmetology stores, health and wellness stores.

The lead author of this study, Tory Spindle, Ph.D., an assistant professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, explained the purpose behind this analysis. “Misleading labels can result in the use of under-regulated and expensive CBD products in place of FDA-approved products that have been established to be safe and effective for certain health conditions. I have.” Spindle said..

The results show that 18% of products contain 10% less CBD than is listed on the label. In addition, 58% contained 10% more CBD than advertised, but only 24% contained the exact amount of CBD.

Thirty-five percent of these products contained THC, but the amount per product did not exceed the legal limit of hemp, 0.3% THC. 11% of these products were labeled “THC-free,” 14% said they contained less than 0.3% THC, and 51% did not mention THC at all on their labels.

Spindle said the presence of THC in alleged CBD-only products could endanger some people. “Recent studies have shown that people using CBD products that contain small amounts of THC can test positive for cannabis using conventional drug tests,” Spindle said. Says.

Some of the medical claims made by these products are also inaccurate, and none of them have been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Twenty-eight percent claimed pain and inflammation, 14% claimed cosmetics and cosmetology, 47 percent specifically stated that they were not approved by the FDA, and the other 53% did not mention the FDA at all.

Dr. Ryan Vandry, lead author of the study, who is also a professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, explained that the significant differences in the results require further research. “The chemical content and label variability found in our study highlights the need for better regulatory oversight of CBD products to ensure consumer safety,” says Vandley. I did.

This study is the latest in discussing the inaccuracy of cannabis products. The University of Kentucky Also, a recent analysis of CBD oil products earlier this month found that out of 80 CBD oil products, only 43 contained CBD within 10% of the claimed content. understood. University of Colorado at Boulder has partnered with Leafly to Cannabis label was inaccurate..

Johns Hopkins University has been continuously involved in supporting cannabis research for the past few years. In September 2019, Johns Hopkins University Psychedelic and Consciousness Research Center Aiming to expand research on psychedelic substances to create new ones Treatment of certain mental and behavioral disorders..of October 2020, Partnered with Realm of Caring and Bloom Medicals to work on cannabis therapy research. In October 2021, the university published a study showing evidence of successful cannabis treatment. Anxiety and depression.. At the beginning of February of this year Volunteers to participate in paid cannabis and alcohol research initiatives (This can deduct up to $ 2,660 for the completion of an individual study).

With two decades of dedicated experience, Nuggs is a seasoned cannabis writer and grower. His journey has been a harmonious blend of nurturing cannabis from seed to harvest and crafting insightful content. A true expert, they've honed strain-specific knowledge, cultivation techniques, and industry insights. His passion shines through enlightening articles and thriving gardens, making them a respected figure in both the growing and writing facets of the cannabis world.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *